Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural (SMSC) development of pupils including the promotion of British Values.
At Trinity Oaks C of E Primary school we aim to deliver a broad and balanced curriculum. This enables our pupils to flourish academically and prepares them for the next stage in their education and adult life.
The document below sets out in detail the different ways in which we ensure pupils’ Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural (SMSC) development and promote and reinforce British Values in our pupils.
Through SMSC pupils
- Develop self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence
- Learn to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the law and democracy
- Accept responsibility for their behaviour
- Understand how they can make a contribution
- Develop an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures
Through our provision of SMSC we promote the fundamental British Values of
- Democracy – pupils learn how we can influence decision making through the democratic process. They elect peers to a School Council and discuss and vote on different issues
The rule of law-pupils learn how laws protect individuals and are essential for our safety and well-being. Each class draws up their own agreed Class Charter.
- Individual liberty-pupils learn how people have the freedom to choose their faith and what they believe and by learning about different faiths they develop mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs to their own.
Click here for detailed information on SMSC development and promotion of British Values at Trinity Oaks